Motion Graphics & Compositing - Project 4


04/11/2021 - 25/11/2021 / Week 11 - Week 14
Avery Ong Xuan Ting / 0344462
Motion Graphics & Compositing / Bachelors of Design (Hons) in Creative Multimedia
Project 4 / Abstract Motion 


INSTRUCTION



PROJECT 4

Week 11 ( 04/11/2021 )
For this project, we are to create an theme based on abstract motion graphic video that consist a good audio visual say it in 3D/2D, mix media or any experimental visual output that has strong theme.

First of all, we need to start with a mood board that reflects the concept/idea, and also storyboard, animatics and explore appropriate audio to uplift the motion tempo. I created a slide for my proposal to show Mr. Fauzi next week. 

fig. 1.0 ; proposal

I have come out with two idea. The first one is like a website to introduce my best friends, but I feel like it was quite similar with my Project 3. However, another idea is like a lyrics video, it was still very rough yet because I still haven't decide to use which music.

Lecturer's Feedback :
The first idea is cool but is quite similar with my Project 3. He preferred to work on the idea 2, so that I can explore different technic in After Effect.

Week 12 ( 11/11/2021 )
I decided to use The Nights - AVICII for this project. First of all, I downloaded the song from YouTube, and edited the part I want in Adobe Audition.

fig. 1.1 ; music for this project

I was struggling on the style for a few days, not sure how to start and where can I find the reference. I keep on changing the style and motion graphic and so I didn't sketch out the storyboard and animatics. Below is my first draft :

fig. 1.2 ; first draft

Lecturer's Feedback :
- Storyboard and animatics is very important in the industry.
- I need to do more study on my idea and the visual of music.
- Try After Effects audio spectrum. (find tutorial from YouTube)
- Remix the footage.
- Watch some references from Mr. Fauzi's vimeo : https://vimeo.com/efozy

Week 13 ( 18/11/2021 )
Finally, I have a rough idea in my mind. I created the storyboard and animatics before I start to edit the video.

fig. 1.3 ; storyboard page 1

fig. 1.4 ; storyboard page 2

fig. 1.5 ; animatics

Next, I started to add some colours, motion in After Effects. I keep on struggling on how to improve it to make it better. I'm totally not happy with this outcome but I have no idea what can I add or what is missing in this video. I decided to ask Mr. Fauzi next week on how to improve it.

fig. 1.6 ; second draft

Lecturer's Feedback :
- Improve the quality.
- The typography : these are the night...) use back the previous type.
- Make sure everything is in grid.
- Try to add some video at the background.

Week 14 ( 25/11/2021 )
Finally after struggling for so many weeks, I have done the final outcome. Although I wasn't very happy with it but it is totally better than the previous outcome. Mr. Fauzi said it is a better version is good to submit. Therefore, I uploaded to YouTube, and also the slides for the final submission.

fig. 1.7 ; final proposal

fig. 1.8 ; final outcome


REFLECTION

I was struggling hard in this project. I wanted to make it better but I have no idea how to improve it. Actually I wasn't very happy with my final outcome but I was running out of time to do more adjustment. I almost getting crazy while planning the storyboard, then started to doubt myself whether am I suitable to work in this industry. Thank you Mr. Fauzi for always compliment and encourage me while I was struggling for the outcome every week. He really motivates me a lot and helps me to improve the work. He taught us the technique and skills, and also shared his experiences with us to gain our knowledge. I really appreciate that !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - PROJECT 1

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - Week 1

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - PROJECT 2