Major Project


30/08/2021 - 29/11/2021 / Week 1 - Week 14
Avery Ong Xuan Ting / 0344462
Major Project / Bachelors of Design (Hons) in Creative Multimedia
Projects


INSTRUCTION



WEEK 1

We are required to produce a standalone portfolio artefact derived from our dissertations in DIS60304 Design Research Dissertation module or a completely new topic. Mr. Asrizal briefed us that the new topic could be the 17 sustainable development goals or find a client to produce an individual project for them. 

There are some advice given by the lecturer :
1. Know the Pros and Cons of your topic, and try to balance your workload based on what you like and what you are good at.
2. Find the target audience of your topic
3. What is the message you want to deliver from your work?
4. Prepare multiple ideas with details and structure.

We are required to come out a rough idea which include problem statement, proposed solutions, evidence and references for next week's class.


I decided to develop my project with the 17 sustainable developments goals, which is Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure and Climate Action. Below is my first proposal:

fig. 1.0 ; first proposal

Lecturer's Feedback :
- The idea is workable but should have more idea to show my specialization.
- Can have more than one product.
- Design a product to become a character then showcase how discarded face mask turned into the product to spread awareness.

WEEK 2

I was struggling with my targeted outcome for a few days. I wanted to do something different instead of just an animation or motion graphic video. It's hard to come out with a better idea in a few days after the feedback given. However, I tried to research some ideas of DIY light and motion graphic, but I think I need more time to produce a more details proposal. 

Below is my second proposal :

fig.1.1 ; second proposal

Lecturer's Feedback :
- Still too rough, need to find a more specific reference video.
- Do more research,

WEEK 3

I was assigned to Mr. Asrizal as my supervisor and Mr. Kanan as my co-supervisor. We need to set an appointment with our supervisors for our weekly consultation. 

According to the feedback given, I couldn't find a specific video that can represent my idea because I don't know the keyword and so I was quite lost. I tried to search for 3D motion graphic, 3D visual effects video, 3D animation and more in these few days. Fortunately, I saw a 3D product advertisement that is quite close to my idea. Thus, I start to figure out the storyline, sketch out the storyboard because I feel like it was easier for me to deliver my idea to the supervisor.

fig. 1.2 ; storyboard draft 1

After sketching out the storyboard, I had a clearer sense of direction for my FYP. I wanted to create a 10-15 second 3D animation with two sizes, portrait for Instagram story and landscape for Facebook and YouTube. Below is my third proposal :

fig. 1.3 ; third proposal
 
Mr. Asrizal's Feedback :
- The proposal was still not detailed enough.
- What is the reference video for?
- Present to Mr. Kanan and update the feedback in the blog.

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- Not sufficient enough, it is too simple for FYP.
- The keyword is 3D motion graphic. 
- Find more reference videos at 'Mash animation' to revise the storyboard.
- Although it is only a 15 second video but it has to be very powerful, and more cinematography to promote the product.
- Example: use shapes too form the light. Elaborate how it transform to a light.

WEEK 4

I planned to sketch out the product and think about the slogan this week. I feel like I could finalize the product with my supervisors first so that I have a direction on how the video end in, then it is easier for me to refind the storyboard.

I had researched a lot of reference on how the light going to looks like. I feel like round is more relevant to my topic, like our earth. Coinsidencely, the face mask is blue color too. After a few rough sketching, I had chosen two design that I like the most to show my supervisor. (But actually, I prefer the second one) 

fig. 1.4 ; light design

Mr. Asrizal's Feedback :
- Try the first design and see how it is going to hold the bottom part, if can't work then go with the second design.

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- The product is too simple.
- Find out what is the uniqueness u wanted to create.
- Redesign the light.
- Focus on the storyboard first.
- Explore more to make it more solid.
- Come out with the mood board first.

WEEK 5

I had figure out 4 slogans for my topic:
1. Repurpose to enlight our future
2. Our earth is in your hand
3. Bring cool ideas to save our earth
4. Discarded mask will mask our future

After this I started to watch more references video for some inspiration. I had updated the mood board, references that I want. Therefore, I begin to sketch out my new idea for the 3d motion graphic. 

fig. 1.5 ; storyboard second draft

I feel like it is easier for me to present for the supervisor if I draw it with color. Anyway, I estimate the duration of the video will be around 30 seconds. Hope this will work this time. I'm very happy with it.

After this, I also find some references for my social media post mockup. Below is my latest progression slides :


fig. 1.6 ; forth proposal

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- Still didn't meet the FYP workload, not sufficient enough.
- Scrap the lamp idea. Focus on showing the advantages and disadvantages of the face mask.
- Find something that is mechanical. 
- Research about face mask macro details.
- Do a long motion graphic a then make it a short one for Instagram story.
- The outcome can be simple but must be impactful.

WEEK 6

Based on the feedback given by Mr. Kanan, I begin to lose faith. I feel like I wasn't good enough and there wasn't a lot of time for me to rethink the idea again. However, Mr. Asrizal announced that next week (13th October 2022) is out first presentation and there will be a few supervisors attend. 

First of all, I redesigned the pendant light and send it to Mr. Kanan. I thought he suggested me to not doing the actual product but still need to model it. After sending the new six design to him, he said that just scrap the whole light idea and focus on the advantages and disadvantages of face mask. In a nutshell, I misunderstood and wasted a few days on redesigning the light.

fig. 1.7 ; product design sketch

So, I begin to do more research about the process of making a mask, each function of the layer and what product to create by repurposing face mask. After struggling for a few days, I finally have an idea for the motion graphic. I changed my reference videos again and began to sketch the storyboard. 

fig. 1.8 ; refined storyboard page 1

fig. 1.9 ; refined storyboard page 2

Besides that, I also prepared the presentation slides for next week presentation.

fig. 1.10 ; presentation slide

Supervisor's Feedback :
- Actually, the lamp idea is good, but I should change it to table lamp.
- The idea is good, looking forward for the final outcome.
- Can play around with the sound effect and music to make it more interesting.
- The product design idea can ask Mr. Fandi for some advice.
- Consult the motion graphic with Mr. Kanan.

WEEK 7

First of all, I planned my timeline for this project. I was quite stress because I planned to finish the modeling and animation in three weeks, so that I have enough time to finalize the rest outcome. However, I took a few days to learn and practice Maya again because it's been a while since last time I used Maya. 

fig. 1.11 ; modelling in Maya

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- The lightning use Arnold render.
- Do the sequence and model first.
- Increase the render setting.
- Try to put some texture and measure.
- Play with the color correction, shadow and some reflection in After Effects.

WEEK 8

We are not going to have consultation this week due to the Independent Learning Week. I continue to model each scene, then export each layer out and combine them in After Effects. After these days of progress, I found that I took 3–4 days to model each scene, which means my progression will be on time as I planned.

fig. 1.12 ; combining each scene in After Effects

WEEK 9

I'm still struggling with the modelling part after two weeks. Meanwhile, I also start to edit the digital image in Photoshop when I lost my patience in Maya.

fig. 1.13 ; Editing digital image in Photoshop

I also think a few names for my Instagram account:

1. rep_of
Repurpose to enlight our future

2. reuse_m.e
Reuse Mask to save the Earth

3.remask
Bring cool ideas to save our earth

4.d.mask_of
Discarded mask will mask Our Future

Mr. Asziral's Feedback :
- reuse_m.e sounds better but remove the dot.
- Caption is the detail explanation, show the objective of the digital image.
- Make it consistency for all the post.

WEEK 10

I started to construct the table lamp this week. First of all, I sketched a few designs for the lamp and consulted with Mr. Fandi. He suggested me to continue with the second design, which he thinks is more solid and easier to do because I'm not a product designer. 

fig. 1.14 ; repurpose product sketch

Mr. Fandi's Feedback:
- Either use spotlight or LED light.
- Think how to hide the wire, maybe make a whole at the base to hide it.
- Can either use battery or cable.

After consulting with Mr. Fandi, we schedule to meet next day to construct the lamp at workshop, but I tested positive for covid, and so I make the lamp at home myself. Mr. Fandi suggested to use white glue to stick the mask together, but I found that mask is different with paper and other fabric (especially the inner layer), so I use cornstarch mix with hot water to stick them together (it works!). 

fig. 1.15 ; progression of making the lamp

I stick them on a balloon for many layers to make it thicker, then put it in direct sunlight to dry. Before it totally dry, the balloon burst, so it's a little bit out of shape.

fig. 1.16 ; sticking each layer on a balloon

For the base, I decided to use recycle rubber wood because my dad has a rubber wood factory, and there throw a lot of rubber wood that are refused to use for the furniture. So, after discussing with my dad, he said he can help me to cut the shape for the base. However, I find a reference picture of the base from online which I think it is suitable for my lamp. After that, I estimate a size then send it to my father.

fig. 1.17 ; base sizes for my dad

WEEK 11

Finally, I used almost three weeks to finished modeling and animating all the scene in maya. 

One of the biggest challenges I had met is to create the simulation in maya. I wanted to animate the mask simulate when the virus drops on it. (Scene 4 left side) But after following the tutorial video from YouTube one by one, it still cannot work. I tried to redo and redo many times, it took me few days to study this, so I asked Mr. Kanan how it works.

fig. 1.18 ; simulation failed (scene4)


fig. 1.19 ; first draft

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- Render each layer separately.
- The backgrounds try to make it simple, keep it clean.
- Change the tube design, make it more detail.
- Search more Science lab equipment references.
- 3rd scene was block out.
- Try to make your artwork more solid.

Meanwhile, I meet Mr. Fandi today to make the thing to connect the cover and the base together. He explained and guided me how to make the thing using wire. 

fig. 1.20 ; before connecting together

fig. 1.21 ; progression of making the wire

After that, he helped me to make a round hole to stick the light bulb on the base.

fig. 1.22 ; making a whole for the light bulb

fig. 1.23 ; light bulb sticks on the base

Besides that, I found that there are some marker inks on the base, Mr. Fandi also suggested me to use some thin wood to cover it, I found that it looks more delicate after adding this.

fig. 1.24 ; extra design for the lamp

Finally, below is my final outcome :

fig. 1.25 ; product final outcome 1

fig. 1.26 ; product final outcome 2

fig. 1.27 ; selfie with Mr. Fandi

ps. Thank you Mr. Fandi !

WEEK 12

I tried to follow a few different tutorial videos to see which one could work for the simulation part. Finally, it works! Besides that, I tried to figure out a better visual for the second scene few days. I tried to look for references to inspire me, finally I came out with a better visual. And also do some minor changes according to Mr. Kanan feedback. After that, I added some words on it to make the information in the video clearer. Below is my second draft:


fig. 1.28 ; second draft

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- This is way better 
- You can proceed to polish the postproduction and transition. 

Mr. Asrizal's Feedback :
- The text should have the flow, maybe one then after one. 
- Check the transition details.

On the other hand, I planned to open the Instagram account today. After trying the name that me and Mr. Asrizal decided, it couldn't work because it shows the name is already existing. Then I only realized that I should try the name in Instagram first before consulting with Mr. Asrizal.

I rethink another four names and also tried in Instagram. Then I asked Mr. Asrizal which one is better again. He prefers the fourth one, which is remask4us: repurpose mask for our future. 
fig. 1.29 ; revised Instagram's name

WEEK 13

I started to add the background music and sound effects using Adobe Audition. I mixed a few songs and reverse some of the song and so it become like this. I was happy with the song. Anyway, below is my third outcome:


fig. 1.30 ; third draft

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- The text part u can do ease in...then as it pause super slow moves very mildly。
- At a simple title in After Effects, fade in then your video starts. 
- Maybe a face mask on a black screen then fade out.
- The background music is fine.
- Overall is fine.

WEEK 14

As the feedback given by Mr. Kanan, I added an opening scene using After Effects. Below is the outcome :

fig. 1.31 ; fourth draft

Mr. Kanan's Feedback :
- No need Pros and cons, just a mask then image on top then done.

Therefore, I remove the pros and cons. And finally, below is my final outcome:

fig. 1.32 ; final outcome

After finalizing the 3d motion graphic, I began to manage the Instagram account. First of all, I tried a few posts layout for Instagram and also asked a few friends which layout design is better.

fig. 1.33 ; post layout design 1

fig. 1.34 ; post layout design 2

As a result, most of them choose the second one. So, I decided to use the extra image as the account profile picture. After that, I think the caption for each post. I search for some references quote online as an inspiration. Some I think on my own but some I translated and changed a bit. However, below is the caption for each post.

fig. 1.35 ; caption for each post

For the story highlight, I had uploaded some product that created by using discarded face mask. The first one was designed by me, second one is the bags, which is designed by @Clarachuu and the third one which is the stool that designed by @Mrjoeslatter. Below is the Instagram account screenshot :


WEEK 15

Mr. Asrizal announced that the final presentation will be held on week 15 (7/12/2022). I started to prepare the presentation slide for this week. Finally, below is my final presentation slide:

fig. 1.36 ; final presentation slide


Supervisor's Feedback:
- Too many things happened at both sides.
- Can try to rethink a more comprehensive caption for each post.
- Overall is good. Well done!


REFLECTION

Finally, my FYP had done! After struggling for these fourteen weeks, I found that 3d modelling is more interesting compared with motion graphic. It really changed my mind because I like motion graphic more than 3d before that. Thanks for all the supervisors that really helped me a lot during these few weeks. Although I know I could do it better if I got more time, but I think I had tried my best, I'm very happy with the outcome. But there are a few things I wanted to improve: 1. I should record down the process of making the light so that I can post it on Instagram to show that it is made by myself and it's also very easy to construct. 2. I could do a few more design for the lamp if I got more time. Actually, I don't really like the lamp design (I think it is too simple) but it wasn't as easy as I thought before making it because the mask is really difficult to stick them together. However, thanks for all the compliment and encourage from my friends, family and supervisor. It really motivates me a lot when I'm struggling with the time and modelling. All the best ! ✌️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - PROJECT 1

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - Week 1

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - PROJECT 2